How does it work?
The IPC Bag Pool is a shared pool of standard long-lasting and environmentally friendly mail bags, suited for international priority mail. It is used for registered mail, E-format and letter packet mail, allowing for the transport of e-commerce products, thick magazines, posters and mail items.
Every post appoints one National Bag Coordinator who is in regular contact with IPC ‘s Central Control to perform local monitoring, send out instructions for use, storage and repatriations. The Coordinator reports the monthly inventories to IPC Central Control and ensures that the bag is properly used only on valid routes agreed between participating posts. IPC centrally manages the IPC Bag Pool using a tool developed in CAPE, called the Bag Management Function (BMF). This application enables IPC to monitor Bag operations and movements daily by means of EDI messages, and to initiate repatriations from net importing members to net exporting members as required, thus ensuring that every member always has a sufficient stock of bags. IPC performs the central purchasing of bags and re-supplies.
Standardisation in operations
By using one type of bag within the Pool, the total number of bags is much lower due to the fact that bags come and go from one member to another. This eliminates the repatriation of members’ own bags. Working staff do not have to worry about separating and storing large numbers of differing bags. The IPC Bag is also comfortable to use and easy to store. The IPC bag is easy to handle as international bags are easily distinguishable from domestic bags.
Significant savings for Pool members, due to the one-time cost of the IPC Bag Pool. The size and structure also reduces storage space and reparation costs.
The IPC Bag itself is fully recyclable, from the material itself to the dyeing and printing ink. IPC has ensured that the Bags are manufactured in compliance with International Labour Organization (ILO) standards. The IPC Bag contributes to saving CO2 emissions by not having to send empty bags back to the sending post.
Facts & figures
- The IPC Bag Pool is currently used by 19 posts around the world.
- The total IPC Bag Pool stock consists of 130,000 bags, with approximately 1m of bags exchanged a year.
- The Bag measures 110 x 75 cm, and can hold a maximum weight of 30 kg and has a rope around the rim for tight hanging on the bag racks.
- The bottom of the bag is made using thicker materials, for protection against wear and tear.
- It is made of polypropylene, a fully recyclable material.
- The Bags are also water repellent and have an anti-static coating, making it convenient and comfortable to use.
- They have no seams on the bottom or the sides, providing additional security. The wear and tear rate is extremely low.
- The IPC Bag Pool has been available since 2010.
To find out more about the IPC Bag Pool services contact email@example.com.